Below are links to videos covering Prof Christof Heyns’ work with the United Nations (UN) from 2010 to date. The videos comprise of presentations made to the UN Human Rights Council and the UN General Assembly during his mandate as the Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions (2010-2016); press briefings and interviews on various subjects; and presentations he made as a member of the UN Human Rights Committee during the drafting of General Comment 37. The list is not exhaustive.
Prepared by Berryl Arao, LLD student, Kenya, August 2019.
Interviews and press conferences on various subjects
- The use of lethal force during demonstrations
- Targeted killings, unmanned aerial vehicles and EU policy
- Interview with TRT World on Burundi Violence Report
- Presentation to the AU Seminar on Lethal Autonomous Weapons Systems
- Social protest and human rights
- Joint statement on Syria by UN SRs
- Campaign to stop killer robots
- Using information and communication technologies to protect human rights
- On lethal autonomous robots
- On the protection of journalists
- Panel discussion on the human rights dimensions of the application of the death penalty in cases of drug-related offences and terrorism offences
- Press Conference, 30 Oct 2015 by C Heyns, SR on Extrajudicial, Summary or Arbitrary Executions
- Press conference by Christof Heyns and Mr. Ben Emmerson, Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of human rights while countering terrorism.
- Press conference on extrajudicial, summary and arbitrary executions, and enforced disappearances – (C. Heyns, Olivier de Frouville, and Emmanuel Decaux)
Presentations before the UN General Assembly
- Third Committee, 34th Plenary - 70th General Assembly. 29 Oct 2015. Statement by C. Heyns, on the role of forensic science and investigations in the protection of the right to life, and the protection of foreign nationals. (From 00:00:15 to 00:11:07)
UN Human Rights Council Presentations
- Interactive dialogue on the joint report on the proper management of assemblies. (C. Heyns and Maina Kiai)
- Presentation of interim report on the UN investigation on Burundi (From 00:16:06 to 00:23:42 and 01:47:01 to 01:52:42)
- Interactive Dialogue on Expression and Executions, 4th meeting 20th Session 19 June 2012-CH Annual Report-2nd year as SR on executions. (From 01:42:04 to 01:55:08)
- 6th Meeting 20th Session Human Rights Council; 20 June 2012- Interactive Dialogue with the Special Rapporteur on extra judicial, summary or arbitrary executions. Best practices on the protection of life of journalists: (From 00:20:46 to 00:30:04)
- High Level Panel Discussion on 70th Anniversary Universal Declaration of Human Rights - 9th Meeting, 37th Regular Session Human Rights Council. 28 Feb 2018
- 33rd Meeting, 33rd Regular Session Human Rights Council, 27 Sep 2016 - Interactive dialogue on: The report of the High Commissioner on the implementation of Human Rights Council resolution 30/27 on technical cooperation and capacity-building for Burundi in the field of human rights (From 00:05:05 to 00:08:20 and 02:03:58 to 02:09:20)
- 16th Meeting 29th Regular Session of Human Rights Council, 19 Jun 2015. Clustered Interactive Dialogue with the Special Rapporteur on extra judicial, summary or arbitrary executions. (Annual Report-5th Year as SR executions) (From 00:01:12 to 00:14:41 and 01:38:05 to 01:48:14)
- 9th Meeting 26th Regular Session of Human Rights Council, 12 Jun 2014 - Interactive dialogue with Special Rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions.
Part 1: Presentation of annual report. It addressed the use of force by law enforcement officials; autonomous weapons systems and visit to Mexico. (From 00:02:45 to 00:16:16)
Part 2: Response to state reports. (From 00:46:33 to 00:54:30)
General Comment 37 on the right of peaceful assembly
- Consultations with Members States on draft General Comment 37 - 3698th Meeting, 128th Session of Human Rights Committee.
- Adoption of General Comment 37 on the right of peaceful assembly. .