BLC LLB (Pretoria) LLM (Connecticut) PhD (Rotterdam)
Dire Tladi is a professor of international law at the University of Pretoria. He teaches in the UN Regional Course on International Law, both for the African region and the Latin American region where he teaches the law of peace and security.
Dire Tladi is also co-editor-in-chief of the SA Yearbook of International Law
He was re-elected for a second term five year term on the UN International Law Commission which will run from 2017 – 2021. He is the Commission’s Special Rapporteur for the topic jus cogens.
He is also Special Adviser to the Minister of International Relations and Cooperation. He has previously served principal state law adviser (director) for international law in the Department of International Relations and Cooperation. He also occupied the position of legal counsellor for the South African Permanent Mission to the United Nations in New York (2009-2013), including during South Africa’s term on the Security Council.
Dire Tladi was previously a recipient of the Fulbright scholarship.
Areas of interest: International law.
- “Of Heroes and Villains, Angels and Demons: The ICC AU Tension Revisited” 2017 German Yearbook of International Law
- (Book Chapter): ‘The Intervention in Côte d’Ivoire’ in Tom Ruys and Olivier Corten International Law on the Use of Force: A Case Based Approach (Oxford 2017)
- (Book): (with Mary Elle O’Connell and Christian Tams) Trialogue on the Use of force against Non-State Actors (Cambridge, 2017/18)
PUBLISHED DURING THE LAST FIVE YEARS
Pursuit of a Brave New World: Essays in Honour of John Dugard (edited with Tiya Maluwa and Max du Plessis) (Brill, 2017)
Chapters in books
- ‘The Principles of Sustainable Development in the Case Concerning Pulp Mills on the River Uruguay’ in Marie-Claire Cordonier Segger and Judge CG Weeramantry (eds) Sustainable Development Principles in International Courts and Tribunals: 1992-2012 (2017)
- ‘Immunities (Article 46Abis)’ in Gerhard Werle and Moritz Vormbaum (eds) The African Court: A Commentary on the Malabo Protocol (2017)
- ‘Interpretation of protection of civilians mandates in United Nations Security Council Resolutions’ in D Kuwali and F Viljoen (eds) ‘All means necessary': Protecting civilians and preventing atrocities in Africa (Pretoria University Law Press (PULP), 2017)
- “Pursuing a Brave New World for the Oceans: The Place of Common Heritage in a Proposed Law of the Sea Treaty” in Maluwa, du Plessis and Tladi (Eds) Pursuit of a Brave New World: Essays in Honour of John Dugard (Brill, 2017)
- “Reflections on Advising the South African Government on International Law” in Andraž Zidar and Jean-Pierre Gauci (eds) The Role of Legal Advisers in International Law (2016)
- “Interpretation of Treaties in an International Law-Friendly Framework: The Case of South Africa” in Aust and Nolte (eds) The Interpretation of International Law by Domestic Courts: Uniformity, Diversity, Convergence (2016)
- “Conservation and Sustainable Use of Marine Biological Diversity in Areas Beyond National Jurisdiction: Towards an Implementing Agreement” in Rayfuse (ed) Research Handbook on Marine Environmental Law (2015)
- “The United Nations Charter and the South African Legal Order” in de Wet and Hestermeyer (eds) The Implementation of International Law in Germany and South Africa (2015)
- “Challenges and Opportunities in the Implementation of the Supplementary Protocol: Reinterpretation and Re-imagination” in Akiho Shibata (Ed) International Liability Regime for Biodiversity Damage (2014)
- “The International Law Commission’s Draft Articles on the Protection of Persons in the Event of Disasters: Codification, Progressive Development or Creation of Law from Thin Air?” (2017) 16 Chinese Journal of International Law
- “Interpretation and International Law in South African Courts: The Supreme Court of Appeal and the Al Bashir saga” (2016) 16 African Human Rights Law Journal 310
- “Progressively Developing and Codifying International Law: The Work of the International Law Commission in its Sixty-Seventh Session” (2015) 40 South African Yearbook of International Law 205
- “Assessing the Legality of Coalition Air Strikes Targeting the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIS) in Syria under International Law” (with M Shaqra) (2015) 40 South African Yearbook of International Law 281
- “Immunity in the Era of ‘Criminalisation’: The African Union, the ICC and International Law” (2015) 58 Japanese Yearbook of International Law 17
- “The Proposed Implementing Agreement: Options: Options for Coherence and Consistency in Established of Marine Protected Areas” (2015) International Journal of Marine and Coastal Law 654
- “The Duty on South Africa to Arrest and Surrender President Al Bashir under South African and International Law: A Perspective from International Law” (2015) 13 Journal of International Criminal Justice 1027
- “The Immunity Provisions in the AU Amendment Protocol: Separating the (Doctrinal) Wheat from the Normative (Chaff)” (2015) 13 Journal of International Criminal Justice 3
- “The Common Heritage of Mankind and the Proposed Treaty on Areas Beyond National Jurisdiction” (2014) Yearbook of International Environmental Law 113
- “A horizontal Treaty on Cooperation in International Criminal Matters: The next step for the evolution of a comprehensive international criminal justice system?” (2014) 29 Southern African Public Law 368
- "Complementarity and Cooperation in International Criminal Justice" ISS Paper Series 24 November 2014
- "ICC and the UNSC: Point Scoring and the Cemetery of Good Intentions" 10 October 2014, ISS Today
- "What will Africa make of its Opportunity to Lead the ICC" 30 July 2014, ISS Today
- “When Elephants Collide it is the Grass that Suffers: Cooperation and the Security Council in the Context of AU/ICC Dynamics” (2014) 7 African Journal of Legal Studies 381
- “State Practice and the Making and (Re)Making of International Law: The Case of the Legal Rules Relating to Marine Biodiversity in Areas Beyond National Jurisdiction” (2014) 1 Journal of State Practice and International Law 97
- “The Fate of the Draft Articles on State Responsibility: Act Soon or Face the Further Erosion of the Role of the State in the International Law-making Process” 2013 Annuário de Direito Internacional 87
- “The Nonconsenting Innocent State: The Problem With Bethlehem’s Principle 12” (2013) 107 American Journal of International Law 570
- “The ICC Decisions on Chad and Malawi: On Cooperation, Immunities and Article 98” 2013 Journal of International Criminal Justice 199
[last updated: 1 September 2017]