Category: About us
LLB (Bristol) LLM (Essex) MSc (Cranfield) PhD (Tilburg)
Stuart is honorary professor of international law in the Faculty of Law. He teaches the law of armed conflict, international human rights law, disarmament law, jus ad bellum, counterterrorism law, the sources of public international law, and European competition law.
He previously served as Head of Research of the Geneva Academy of International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights.
He has also worked for the International Committee of the Red Cross, UNICEF, and the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights in Geneva.
During 2018, Stuart will teach in the Human Rights and Democratisation in Africa master’s programme; and the Oxford University/George Washington University summer school at Oxford.
Areas of interest: The use of force, counterterrorism, and protection under international law
Accepted for publication
- Hague Law Interpreted: The Conduct of Hostilities under the Law of Armed Conflict, Hart, Oxford, forthcoming (2018).
- Drones and Other Unmanned Weapons Systems under International Law, Brill, forthcoming (2018) (co-authored).
- Disarmament and International Law, A Practical Guide, Routledge Research in the Law in Armed Conflict Series, Routledge, forthcoming (2019) (co-author)
- The Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons: A Commentary, Oxford University Press, Oxford, forthcoming (2019).
- Weapons entries in N. Pons and D. Djukic (eds), Companion of International Humanitarian Law, Brill, Leiden, forthcoming (2018).
- ‘Weapons’, Chap. 11 in D. Akande and B. Saul (eds), Oxford Guide to International Humanitarian Law, Oxford University Press, forthcoming (2018).
- ‘Regulating Armed Drones and Other Emerging Weapons Technologies’, Chap. 4 in M. Lattimer and P. Sands (eds), The Grey Zone: Civilian Protection Between Human Rights and the Laws of War, Hart, Oxford, forthcoming (2018).
Published during the last five years
- Police Use of Force under International Law, Cambridge University Press, 2017 (co-author).
- The Arms Trade Treaty: A Commentary, Oxford University Press, 2016 (co-author).
- The War Report: Armed Conflict in 2013, Oxford University Press, 2014 (editor and contributor).
- Nuclear Weapons under International Law, Cambridge University Press, 2014 (co-editor and contributor).
- Weapons under International Human Rights Law, Cambridge University Press, 2014 (editor and contributor).
- The War Report: 2012, Oxford University Press, 2013 (editor and contributor).
Chapters in books
- ‘International Law and the Prevention of War’, Chap. 14 in W. H. Wiist and S. K. White (eds), Preventing War and Promoting Peace: A Guide for Health Professionals, Cambridge University Press, 2017.
- ‘Special Agreements in International Armed Conflict’, Chap. 7 in A. Clapham, P. Gaeta, and M. Sassòli (eds), The Geneva Conventions in Context: A Commentary, Oxford University Press, 2015. ’‘The Status, Rights, and Obligations of Medical and Religious Personnel‘, Chap. 40 in Clapham, Gaeta, and Sassòli, The Geneva Conventions in Context: A Commentary, Oxford University Press, 2015.
- ‘Use of Nuclear Weapons and Human Rights’, International Review of the Red Cross, 2016.
[last updated: 17 April 2018]